Abrasive safety virtual trainer led course accredited by the British Abrasive Federation
Standard course or Train the Trainer option available.
The improper use, handling and storage of abrasive products can lead to serious and sometimes fatal accidents. This has been recognised in the UK and is now covered by legislation. This legislation makes it a legal requirement that operators, and those involved in the use of Abrasive Wheels are properly trained.
We provide a tailored training programme, accredited by the BAF (British Abrasives Federation), which will ensure that employers meet their legal obligations and equip their employees with the necessary skills and knowledge to safely use Abrasives.
We will ensure that all participants have fully understood each section of the course and that they can fully meet all the requirements of the Regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice relevant to the safe use of Abrasives.
Upon successfully completing the training each participant is issued with a BAF certificate. Each certificate lists the participant’s name and unique reference number. The participants name and employer is also entered and listed on the BAF National Register.
- By attending this course, the participant will:
- Understand the nature of the hazards and identify the causes
- Identify and understand requirements and responsibilities under the current PUWER Regulations
- Understand and interpret the marking system of abrasive wheels
- Recognise the need for careful handling of abrasive wheels and carry out visual checks
- Understand and identify what speeds should be adhered to in wheel selection
- Use operating precautions and be aware of avoiding hazardous conditions
- Course notes issued for future reference and guidance
Course is suitable for:
Anyone who comes into contact with Bonded Abrasives (i.e. Grinding Wheels, Cutting Blades, Cutting Discs), or who is responsible for those who do.
Standard course: Half day (approx. 3.5 hours)
Train the Trainer course: Full day (approx. 8 hours)
- Hazards associated with the use of abrasive products
- Types and design (including specification, to avoid incorrect selection)#
- Inspection, testing and storage (including damaged/faulty wheel checks)
- Mounting of the abrasives (including a practical ‘verification of capability test, ensuring safe mounting procedures are followed & tool care is adhered)
- Ensuring a safe working environment
- Machine Guarding & PPE
- Safe use (including Kickback & Dressing)
Additional content if Train the Trainer option selected
- Training guidance and support
- Participant inclusion
- Learning styles
- Telling vs teaching
- Active Learning
What will your employees receive? Why ABTAC?
Attendees will receive an engaging training course from a passionate trainer, where all of the relevant knowledge will be imparted. A proof of attendance certificate will be provided on successful completion of the validation.
What is a virtual course?
Virtual courses run in the same way as our standard trainer led courses but using Microsoft Teams video conferencing software. As with all of our trainer led courses, attendees will receive an engaging training course from a passionate trainer, where all of the relevant knowledge will be imparted, and a certificate on successful completion.
How does a virtual course work?
How to book?
In either order:
1) Purchase this course online
Ahead of the course
Your attendees receive an individual email invite, which includes:
- A link to the Microsoft Teams session
- Course joining instructions
- A troubleshooting guide (we understand that this may be some attendees first experience using video calling
1) Just before the training session your attendees follow the link
2) Your attendees receive an engaging training session by video
3) At the end of the course your attendees are sent a link to the validation theory test
- If your attendee doesn't satisfactorily our trainer will talk through any misunderstandings and then give the attendee an opportunity to take the test again
If the course has a practical element our trainer:
- Will contact you and your attendee in advance with any requirements
- At the end of the session, our trainer will set up an individual video call with your attendee
4) On successful completion of the course, we will send certificates by post to a location selected by the course booker